Saturday, September 25, 2004

Postclassic Radio: Check it out now!

http://www.live365.com/stations/kylegann



Kyle Gann has started his own radio station (shouldn't this be "radio" "station"?) and it's just incredible. It's always hard to hear the things he writes about and to be honest I sometimes wondered if maybe most of it wouldn't be of much interest to a rock 'n' jazz person like me. As it turns out, after about three hours of listening I haven't heard anything I didn't like and a few pieces that just floored me (such as the opening movement to Gloria Coates' first symphony, William Duckworth's "Blue Rhythm" and Ben Johnston's "Suite for Microtonal Piano 1"). One drawback to Live365 is that it apparently only lets you check out a few stations before trying to force you to register.



(And should those composition titles be italicized or quotes? On his playlist Gann goes for italics and my guess would be that's because these are, or should be considered, entire artistic works. I tend to think--well maybe just react instead of think--that if it's not album-length then it goes into quotes.)