Sunday, December 21, 2003

Expectations: The new Entertainment Weekly (12/19) has a quote from Anthony Minghella on Cold Mountain that it thought worthy enough to pull into a large-case photo caption: "I feel like Michael Cimino must have felt making Heaven's Gate. I can only hope the results aren't the same."



My first thought was: Minghella wants to make a bad movie? No, really. Then it occured to me that maybe he thinks Heaven's Gate itself is bad (which it's not) and therefore he's saying he wants to make a better movie. Typing this out, I wondered if maybe he's saying hopes his film doesn't drive the studio to the brink of bankruptcy. Perhaps reading the article would clear this up but if that's what's required then this was a bad choice for a pull quote, and anyway I have next to zero interest in any of this.